MORDIALLOC LIFE SAVING CLUB HISTORY
For over 100 years, Surf Life Saving volunteers have been actively patrolling Australian beaches to ensure that there is a safe environment in which the public can enjoy the beach.
The Mordialloc Life Saving Club commenced operation in 1919 from a local school. A clubhouse was built in 1921 within 30 metres of the Mordialloc Sea Baths, where many of the early activities took place.
The original clubhouse was washed away in the floods of 1933. Following this a second clubhouse was built, which stood for 20 years until it along with its contents were destroyed by fire which also destroyed a lot of our documentation / history of the club. Subsequently, the building of a third clubhouse finished construction in 1957 and remained standing until early 2016 when due to corrosion it was demolished and a 4th new building was completed late 2016.
MLSC’s long running dance Shindig was alive for over 21 years between 1956 and 1978. This provided the necessary funds to extend the existing building with a large patrolling balcony that covered a storage and training room.
A history subcommittee has been formed and continues the fantastic work of preserving our history for all to enjoy.
A book is being developed and the aim is to release in time for our 100 year celebrations in November 2021 in honour of our operation from our first club house.
Contact Grant email@example.com if you have history information or require information.